Over the years, the training and qualifications to become a registered Dental Therapist have merged resulting in dual diploma qualification or BSc in Dental Health.
In regards to dental therapists, this may result in you visiting a therapist for a filling, rather than seeing your dentists.
This delegation of treatment is seen throughout other healthcare settings, for example you may see a practice nurse for a medical appointment rather than the doctor, or you may be referred to a physiotherapist for rehabilitation after an injury.
Dental care professions have a scope of practice, that is a list of treatment that they can provide as stated by the General Dental Council (the Dental Regulator).
These are the range of procedures which a Dental Therapist can carry out:
- Intra and extra oral assessment
- Record indices and monitor disease
- Periodontal treatment (treatment for gum disease)
- Apply materials to teeth such as fluoride and fissure sealants
- Take Dental Radiographs (X-ray)
- Provide dental health education on a one to one basis or in a group situation
- Routine restorations (Fillings) in both deciduous and permanent teeth, on adults and children
- Treat adults as well as children
- Extract deciduous (Baby) teeth under local analgesia
- Administration of Inferior Dental Nerve Block analgesia and Infiltration analgesia (dental Injections)
- Emergency temporary replacement of crowns and fillings
- Take impressions
We are all delighted to welcome Our Dental Therapist, Lucy Bateman who will be able to carry out examinations and restoration to the highest possible standard. These changes mean we are able to offer a wider range of choices for appointments and providers.
If you would like to book an appointment or have any concerns about your overall oral health, give us a call on 01903 743 689.
Free Initial Implant Consultation
Old Mill Dental offers Complimentary Implants Consultation. Speak to us to find out more.
|Monday||8.00 AM – 6.00 PM|
|Tuesday||8.00 AM – 7.00 PM|
|Wednesday||8.00 AM – 5.00 PM|
|Thursday||8.30 AM – 5.00 PM|
|Friday||8.30 AM – 5.00 PM|
|Saturday (by appts only)||8.30 AM – 1.00 PM|