Our dental therapists work alongside our dentists to provide optimal dental care
Over the years, the training and qualifications to become a registered Dental Therapist have merged resulting in dual diploma qualification or BSc in Dental Health.
In regards to dental therapists, this may result in you visiting a therapist for a filling, rather than seeing your dentists.
This delegation of treatment is seen throughout other healthcare settings, for example, you may see a practice nurse for a medical appointment rather than the doctor, or you may be referred to a physiotherapist for rehabilitation after an injury.
Dental care professionals have a scope of practice, that is a list of treatments that they can provide as stated by the General Dental Council (the Dental Regulator).
What are the procedures that a Dental Therapist can carry out?
A Dental Therapist can carry out and assist in many procedures, including:
- Intra and extraoral assessment
- Record indices and monitor disease
- Periodontal treatment (treatment for gum disease)
- Apply materials to teeth such as fluoride and fissure sealants
- Take Dental Radiographs (X-ray)
- Provide dental health education on a one to one basis or in a group situation
- Routine restorations (Fillings) in both deciduous and permanent teeth, on adults and children
- Treat adults as well as children
- Extract deciduous (Baby) teeth under local analgesia
- Administration of Inferior Dental Nerve Block analgesia and Infiltration analgesia (dental Injections)
- Emergency temporary replacement of crowns and fillings
- Take impressions
Our Dental Therapists will be able to carry out examinations and restoration to the highest possible standard. These changes mean we are able to offer a wider range of choices for appointments and providers.
Old Mill Dental offers superior dental care and oral health and hygiene treatments to all patients, ensuring they maintain a healthy and beautiful smile for life.
If you would like to know more about the services we offer or would like to book an appointment to discuss your oral health and dental requirements, please contact us today.